Issues, Statistics, Facts
Did you know that;
- Children of prisoners are referred to as the forgotten victims of crime and the orphans of justice.
- A child of prisoner in Uganda can take up to 8 years without seeing his /her parent.
- There over 30,000 people in Uganda’s prisons.
- 94.5% of the prisoners are Men, most of whom are breadwinners.
- On average, an inmate in Uganda has 5 – 7 children.
- 6 out of 10 children of prisoners are likely to follow their parents in prison.
- 90% of Children of prisoners are below the age of 18 years, 75% are below 10 years of age.
- The impact of imprisonment on children differs per age. for example 0 – 3 years have a Low degree of attachment to incarcerated parent and loss of bond and have Separation anxiety.
- Prisoners are predominantly from poverty stricken communities.
- 2 out of 10 children of prisoners are able to access basic education.
- 70% of Children of prisoners are vulnerable to child labour, HIV/AIDS, Rape and Defilement.
- 6 out of 10 children of prisoners have one meal a day.
- 35% of children of prisoners are household head.
Any donation of any size can change the lives of children of prisoners. It costs up to 65,000/= (about USD 35 ) per month to provide
education and welfare support a child of a prisoner at Wells of Hope Junior School..